Sunday, June 6, 2010

Linguine with Artichoke & Mixed Olive Pesto

Pasta. It's my go-to easy, lazy food. It's what I pull off the shelves when the kids are starving and I am too busy to cook. It's filling and fast and I can get pretty creative with it with even the most basic of ingredients. We eat pasta once a week here. Yet again the kitchen is empty and I need to get to the grocery store. I ran out yesterday for yogurts, milk and apples. Healthy snacks to last the weekend. I'll go tomorrow. Meantime we always have pasta. Rebecca told me that she wanted an artichoke pesto. Luckily my canned and jarred goods have not been depleted yet. I had everything I needed to concoct a flavorful artichoke pesto. There's a little leftover. I think I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!


Ingredients:

1 lb thin linguine, cooked per directions on the package

1 jar of artichoke hearts in oil
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of shredded or freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of mixed, pitted olives
1/8 cup of olive oil


 If you do not have, or do not have access to pitted olives, you can easily remove the pits yourself by taking a really large knife and lying it on it's side over the olives. Smash the flat side of the knife with your palm. The olive will flatten and the pit will come out easily.

In a small food processor add the artichoke hearts plus 1 tbs of the oil
Add the garlic and pulse
Add the olive oil, Parmesan, olives and pulse until thoroughly blended





When the pasta is done, drain pasta and reserve about 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
Return pasta and water to the pan.
Add about 1/2 of the pesto and mix well. (If you wish you can add more)
Add freshly ground pepper and sea salt on top, if desired.

3 comments:

Michele said...

This looks so delicious! I'm always adding olives to dishes! I bet this was great!

Socially Savvy said...

A perfect blend ... artichokes and olives.

red ticking said...

WONDERFUL ... i will definitely try this... who doesnt love pasta and olives... yummie! xx