Thursday, June 19, 2008

OK, seriously THESE are the best brownies... EVER!

I had a few friends over yesterday afternoon and made the strawberry bread I make all summer long. Alexander thought it would be fun to dump a bunch of sprinkles (Jimmies for my Massachusetts amigos!) into the batter. I wasn't sure how it would come out but it was great! I also whipped up a batch of brownies because I am always fearful that there will never be enough food even though I usually have too much. I rummaged through my chocolate baking stuff and was miffed to see I had no baking squares. I remembered reading someone's food blog that you can make brownies using Hershey's cocoa powder. I knew I had a can (or two) on hand and went to check the label to see if there was a recipe for brownies. Nope. So then I went to the Hershey's recipe website and saw this recipe. Double chocolate brownies blows any regular brownie out of the water!

Double Chocolate Brownies Ingredients:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Fudge Topping (I did not have this and used Dove's Dark chocolate Fudge Topping)
1 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (I used Nestle's semi sweet chocolate chunks)
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (I used no nuts. I Loathe nuts in my brownies!)
2 Tbs. instant coffee -- I have done this ever since I learned that Ina adds coffee to her brownies too!

Directions:1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan. 2. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl. Add eggs; beat well. Stir together flour and baking soda; add alternately with topping to butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan. 3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares. About 24 bars.

I did not take any pictures and there weren't any brownies left to photograph once the guests and kids left!

No comments: