Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Strawberry Tea Bread



My mother makes this a lot in the summer using fresh local berries and serves it with tea in the afternoon. If it is a particularly warm day, iced tea replaces the hot beverage. Freshly frozen berries work wonderfully as well, making it a lovely year-round treat. We don't have "Tea Time" at home the way my parents do. We're rarely home that time of the day. But because my children love the bread, just mildly sweet and fruity, I will bake a couple of loaves early in the morning to serve for breakfast. A tall glass of orange juice or ice cold milk is a perfect accompaniment for the children, the adults in this family, however, perfer theirs with a pot of freshly brewed coffee.


Recipe makes 1 loaf -- this is rarely enough and you may want to double it!


Preheat over to 350 degrees


Ingredients:

1 1/2 C. flour

3/4 C. sugar

1/2 Tsp. baking soda

1/2 Tsp. vanilla

2 eggs

2/3 C. of canola or vegetable oil

1 1/4 C. cut strawberries


Sift flour and baking soda together in a bowl and set asside.

Mix together eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil

Slowly add dry ingredients while mixing

Grease a 9 inch loaf pan


Bake 1 hour


Let cool about 15 minutes before serving


4 comments:

Katie said...

I just made this last night and it is wonderful!!! Still have tons of strawberries left so I'll be making another batch. Thanks for sharing this!

Coryanne Ettiene | Kitchen Living with Coryanne said...

so very yummy! I happen to have a bucket of berries in the fridge will print this out and see if I can work your magic tomorrow.....thanks for hopping along darling.

Holly said...

I was wanting to make this recipe for my daughter's Strawberry Shortcake-themed birthday party and was wondering if this would freeze well or if it could be made in advance. Thanks for the recipe though; will definitely have to try!

Holly said...

I was wanting to make this recipe for my daughter's Strawberry Shortcake-themed birthday party and was wondering if it co uld be made in advance or even frozen ahead of time?? Either way, I will definitely be trying it out! Thanks!