Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Seasonal Citrus Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Red Onion


I was at my childrens' school the other day as the Resident Chef was bringing out items for the salad bar. The lovely purple and orange color grabbed my attention immediately. "What's that? I asked, tongue practically hanging out of my mouth. It was a simple mixture of freshly cooked beets (which are in season) and oranges. I just had to try this beautiful concoction. It was delightful and refreshing. Every bit as good as t looked.

Later that afternoon I got an email asking if I would like to contribute a unique Thanksgiving recipe to the food website CTBites. Immediately I though of Lauren's recipe. I found her in the kitchen the following morning and asked if she wanted to help create an adult version of the salad. She was happy to help.

This afternoon, armed with a dozen freshly cooked beets from our local organic farm, Sport Hill Farm, and some goat cheese I headed off to school. Lauren prepped the oranges as I sliced the red onion paper thin. Our creation was as good as we had anticipated. The crunchy addition of nuts, either sweet or savory, would have truly put this over the edge!

This beautiful salad featuring seasonal fruit and vegetables would compliment any Thanksgiving or Christmas meal.


Children's Salad
Grown-ups salad
Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 dozen small to medium beets (4 - 6 large)
3 -4 oranges*, peeled and cut into segments, reserve all juices
Several thin slices of red onion, quartered. (The thinner the slice the better. You want a hint of onion, but you do not want the onion to overwhelm the dish which will happen if it is not finely sliced.)
A generous handful of crumbled goat cheese
Optional: A generous handful of nuts -- plain, salted or sweet to sprinkle over the top with the goat cheese.
* Clementines may be used in lieu of the oranges. In this case use about 6 - 8 clementines.

Directions:
In a bowl add your beets and oranges and onion and let sit from 1/2 hour to an hour
Arrange in a bowl or a large plate
Pour the extra juices on over the salad
Sprinkle generously with the crumbled goat cheese
Add a touch of sea salt. This will really enhance all the flavors
Serve immediately!

No comments: