Thursday, November 25, 2010

Vanilla and Spiced Pear Pancakes


Seriously, don't you want to take a bite... like, now!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 ripe Anjou (or any variety) pears, peeled and cut into small pieces
1 tbs brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
Pancake mix + 2 eggs, milk as suggested on package
I wanted to make something special for Thanksgiving breakfast. But I didn't have any of the ingredients I was looking for. I was inspired by a couple of terrific looking Anjou pears in the fruit bowl on the counter.  I had made apple pancakes before but never pear. So I peeled and cut one and a half pears and set them aside in a bowl with some cinnamon (about 1/2 tsp.) and some brown sugar (about 1 tbs) and let them soak up the flavors.
In a large mixing bowl I made the pancake batter. Yes from a box because I happen to think these are as good if not better than the ones made from scratch. I added my lowfat milk (about 1/2 cup more than they ask for because I like my pancakes a little thinner) and my eggs and about 2 tsp of good Madagascar vanilla.

When the batter was ready I tossed in the pears and all their wonderful seasonings and tossed some butter into the heated skillet. Yes, butter folks, it's Thanksgiving and with all we'll be eating I'm not worrying about a few calories saved by substituting some Pam or other nonstick spray. Today is all about flavor and fat. Tomorrow we can use the Pam again!

When the batter started to bubble I tossed the pancakes over and let the other sides cook up nicely. (A couple of minutes.) As each batch was done I would place the pancakes on a plate which I would then toss into the oven to keep warm. 

Topped off with some local honey or natural maple suryp these pancakes were indeed a tasty treat perfect for any cool autumn morning... Thanksgiving or otherwise!

Sadly for us there were no leftovers.

2 comments:

Natasha in Oz said...

What a delicious way to start your Thanksgiving day. It does indeed look delicious...so much so that my mouth is watering and I am unusually ravenous! Time for lunch I think!

Hope your Thanksgiving was beautiful.

Best wishes always,
Natasha.

Anonymous said...

This was a nice article to read, thank you for sharing it..