Sunday, November 7, 2010

Spaghetti with cauliflower, sundried tomatoes and sausage



I adore pasta and could eat it every day. For every meal. I love that there are just so many ways to serve it. I love that it can be eaten hot or cold, can accompany a meal or stand on its own. I love all the different ways it can be prepared and all the different ingredients to accompany it... You could have pasta all year and never have to repeat a dish! 
I like to cook pasta for its ease and simplicity. Pasta is a perfect and practical dish for a busy family always on the go. It's nourishing and soul-soothing. I serve it once a week. 

Last week I was getting ready to purge pile after pile of my cooking/decorating magazines. I swept through each glossy looking for dog-eared pages and anything that caught my attention. Interesting recipes and inspirational articles or photos were carefully ripped out. This recipe was adapted from another... I wish I remembered... but since I made it my own, it's not quite as important. Still, it would have been nice to have given credit to the recipe that inspired it...

Ingredients:
1 package fresh Italian sausages. I used sweet but you could use hot.
1/2 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 Cup finely chopped or pulsed sundried tomatoes in oil, plus 2 tbs of the sundried tomato oil
1/2 head of fresh cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces. (Please do not use frozen for this!)
1 lb spaghetti -- I used vermicelli
1/2  Cup Parmesan cheese. (I used grated)
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, bring water to boil and then cook pasta per directions on package. Drain, reserving a little bit of the liquid to keep the pasta from sticking together. If necessary add a tbs of two olive oil.

In a skillet add small bits of sausage, removing them from their casings. Cook until thoroughly browned. Set aside on plate, on paper towel. Repeat as necessary until all the sausage is thoroughly cooked.

In the same skillet add the garlic and onions, allowing them to soak of the sausage flavorings and saute until translucent. Add the 2 tbs of sundried tomato oil. Turn off heat. If possible return sausages to pan (unless you chose one that is too small!) 

Steam cauliflower until al dente. Should take just a few minutes. Add to the pasta. Add the sundried tomatoes to the pasta and cauliflower. Mix well. Now add the onion, garlic and sausage mixture. Mix well. Next add the Parmesan, salt and pepper if necessary. Mix thoroughly. Keep in pot on low until ready to serve. 

Buon Appetito!

No comments: