Sunday, August 8, 2010

Summer Sandwich Simplicity: BLT



When the weather gets hot I tend not to want to cook. On a rare hot day I tend not to want to eat... but as I said. that is a rare day. When the days are long and hot and the family needs to be fed I want something easy, simple, delicious, refreshing and satisfying.

Luckily I can go out back to my deck. Our tomatoes are having a glorious year. They are feeding us well. We toss them into salads and into sandwiches. A favorite of ours requires just 5 items: bacon, lettuce, tomato, whole wheat bread and mayonnaise. The simple and satisfying BLT is a summer favorite for lunch or dinner... with iced tea, a cold beer or a glass of chilled wine.

Ingredients (per sandwich):
3 - 4 slices of cooked bacon
3 - 4 thinly cut slices of tomato
a few pieces of lettuce
2 slices of hearty whole wheat bread, toasted
1 tbs good quality mayonnaise (We use Hellman's Light)
Pepper to taste

Directions:
Cook bacon and set aside. (I prefer to cook in the microwave, about 1 minute per slice.)
Toast bread.
Spread mayonnaise on both sides of bread. Place bacon on one slice. Top with tomatoes, then lettuce. Add pepper to the other slice if desired. Place other slice of bread on top and cut in half.

My kids like this with a pickle and chips, of course.




3 comments:

The 5 Bickies said...

We had BLT's for dinner last night...Delish! We added a little A as well...avocado.

ps...I love my microwave for bacon too!

Out Of A Bandbox said...

Rare is the day I don't want to eat either. Must explain that large rump that follows me around! ;-)

Gwennie said...

Thanks I now know what we are having for dinner. I like mine on marbles rye, add some turkey and thousand island dressing, and I've got a Water Street Club.