Sunday, June 13, 2010

Fully Loaded Candy Bars



This recipe was adapted from Bobby Flay's... well, only the blondie part. Everything else is completely my crazy doing... my cravings for chocolate and salty and sweet have kicked in 100%. I was bored. And stressed and I cook and bake when I am bored and stressed and now I need someone to come and take all this stuff off of my hands!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 sticks of butter, room temperature
2 cups of light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups of flour
2 cups of mini peanut butter cups -- (I like the really small ones at Trader Joe's. If you can't find them, halve or quarter Reese's mini pb cups)
1 cup of Milk Duds, cut in half
1 cup toffee bits, like Heath
1 1/4 cup chocolate covered pretzels broken into small pieces
* Any of these candies can be substituted... Snow Caps, M&Ms, Reese's Pieces, various candy bars chopped such as Twix, Snickers... be creative and have fun!

In a large mixer, mix together butter and sugar, add eggs, vanilla and baking soda. Add flour and mix well.

You might think the pretzel pieces sound a bit odd, but the crunch adds such a wonderful texture, and the salt from the pretzel seems to enhance the peanut butter flavor. I was not prepared to be wowed as I was!

In a well greased brownie pan pour the mixture so that the entire pan is well covered.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Cut into squares after they have cooled for 10 - 15 minutes. Let cool another 20 minutes before removing squares from the tin and serving.

Little bits of caramel seeping through when the blondies are still warm. When they have cooled, the caramel adds a delightful chewiness! Chewy, crunchy, soft, crisp -- you experience it all with these decadent treats!

No comments: