Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Triple Chocolate Chip Espresso Roast Cookies
We had a horrible stormy Sunday. We lounged around in our PJs all day and cooked and baked away in the kitchen. The boys wanted to make chocolate chip cookies. Christopher wanted to use white chips and Alexander wanted to use "black" chips. So we compromised and used both... well three kinds really, as we had partially used bags that I wanted to finish up. This is how we came up with our triple chip recipe!
This soft and chewy cookie was adapted from Martha Stewart's Holiday Cookies, 2006.
2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) of butter, softened. (I use salted butter and then do not add salt to my cookie recipes)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 tbs. espresso (I used Starbucks, regular ground coffee)
2 cups of equal part white chocolate, semi sweet and dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven and whisk together butter and sugars until smooth and creamy
2. Add vanilla, eggs and mix until well blended
3. Add baking soda and flour, mix until well blended and add espresso, blend well
4. Stir in chocolate chips
5. Drop heaping spoonfuls of mixture on to baking sheet, about 2 inches apart
6. Bake in oven until the edges turn a lightly golden brown and the centers are still soft, about 10 - 12 minutes. (I found I needed the full 12 minutes)
7. Remove cookies from the oven, let cool then transfer to wire racks to let cool some more.