Sunday, July 26, 2009

Julie & Julia (I am Not!!)

While in Maine these past two weeks I did a great deal of eating and very little cooking. My waist expanded from too much fried seafood and freshly caught lobster dripping in butter and way too much ice cream. The weather for the most part was dreary. When I was not eating I was reading. With just a very limited internet access I did a great deal of reading. I read 3.5 books over the course of 2 weeks. I had just picked up a copy of Julie & Julia while I was at a local Target getting sunscreen and a few other items. I had been eyeing the book for a couple of years but never picked it up. I'm dying to see the movie. I'm dying to see Meryl's interpretation of Julia!

I decided to pick up the book to read before going to the movie. OMG. I am so glad I did!
It was wonderful! Great! And absolutely hilarious! While I have no desire (whatsof***ever) to take on the grand task of following Julia's recipes, I read in awe as Julie mastered and faltered her way through. I don't have the time in my life to spend a week in preparation of a single meal, nor do I have the desire to do so (I should be called the Lazy Contessa, really, as I am Queen of the Shortcut) but by God did I appreciate everything Julie went through for her Julie/Julia project.

This is a Run-Not-Walk-But-Run to your bookstore to pick up a copy!

4 comments:

Gwennie said...

I loved this book, and have told everyone to read it. I find Julia Child inspiring, because she finally found her calling in her late thirties (there is hope for me yet!). I will be first in line to see the film, and the trailer was a great tease.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the movie!

Jo said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. Perhaps I should check out the book first.

Jo

Donna-FFW said...

I also loved this book and can not wait to see the movie!