Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Red Leaf Lettuce with Strawberry Sherry Vinaigrette



The kids and I went strawberry picking today. We had the most delightful time and came home with 5 pounds of strawberries that must get used fairly quickly. I had some very soft, very ripe strawberries and decided to play around and make a dressing. I do not typically like anything sweet in my salad. Asian dressings are my exception. I was not sure how this was going to turn out, but I was absolutely delighted with the end result! I promise this is not at all a sweet dressing. If anything the sweetness of the berries cuts into the acidity of the vinegar.


The recipe couldn't be easier!

1/3 Cup olive oil
3 Strawberries

3 Tbs. Sherry Vinegar
Sea salt and pepper to taste


In a medium sized bowl mash the strawberries with a fork until it looks like a puree. (You will need to use a very ripe berry. Hand-picked berries are less firm that the store bought varieties and work better)


Pour olive oil and vinegar in to the bowl and mix well. Using a strainer, pour the dressing into a jar.


Pour desired amount of dressing onto salad.


Add some crumbled feta cheese and if you do like a little sweetness in your salad add a few sliced strawberries.

No comments: