As soon as I saw these caramel bits (at Tarjay, of course!) I knew exactly what I was going to do with them! (If you hop over to my other blog, you'll see all the other fun things I picked up over there as well!)
I made two varieties for this experiment. Both were good but the oatmeal version were outstanding. If you want to bake up a batch with and without the oatmeal simply cut the amount of oats in half and add to half the batch.
1 1/2 Cup of flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 Cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, room temperature
3/4 Cup packed brown sugar
3/4 granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Cup rolled oats
2 cups of dried apples, diced
1 package of Kraft Caramel bits (minus whatever you have already eaten!)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. In a large bowl combined softened butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla
3. Add flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Mix well
4. Fold in apples and caramel bits and oats
5. Drop by large spoonfuls (or small ice cream scoop) onto ungreased baking sheet -- If you have silicone baking sheets I would recommend them for this!
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned at the edges
7. Let cool in fridge before removing. (Caramel when hot is very sticky and if you attempt to remove the cookies before they have hardened the caramel will stick to the baking sheet and the cookies will crumble apart. They will still be tasty but not so pretty!)
8. Makes 3 -4 dozen depending on their size!