Thursday, August 14, 2008

Simple French Toast


My kids love French toast. It's so easy to make and can keeps wonderfully frozen so you can make a large batch and store it for a crazy hectic school morning. If you can, instead of regular sliced bread, find a challah bread (made with egg) or a brioche loaf. The outcome is richer, more spectacular and yet still so easy to make. I used a raisin challah loaf and had my baker run it through the bread slicer for evenly slices.

This recipe originates from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

yields about 6 - 8 slices of regular sliced bread. You may want to double the recipe!

3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon of salt (I omit this)
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Cup of milk (I use low fat)
6 slices of bread (I used about 12 thin slices of challah)

Mix eggs, sugar, salt and milk in a shallow dish or pan. Soak the bread i the mixture until soft, turn once. Cook on a hot, well greased skillet or fry pan, turning to brown each side.

No comments: