Thursday, July 24, 2008

Trickery Salad! (Chef's Salad)



I have nicknamed this Trickery Salad because it is a good way to get my kids to eat some veggies when they are in an Anti Veggie State of Mind! It helps when children make this with you. They actually start snacking on lettuce and cucumbers and they are so clueless to the fact that they are snacking on something healthy ;)

I used 3 handfuls of mixed field greens -- had to attempt to sneak them in there somehow!
2 heads of washed and trimmed (Organic) romaine lettuce
1/2 lb. baked Virginia* (or your favorite) ham cut into thin strips
1/2 lb. Oven roasted turkey, cut into thin strips
6 slices (or more to taste) of thinly sliced cheese -- American, Swiss or Cheddar
1 English cucumber peeled and sliced
1 tomato, optional
2 eggs, hard boiled and sliced, optional

* I buy the turkey, ham and cheese sliced at the deli of my grocery store

A traditional Chef's Salad uses Russian dressing but we prefer a vinaigrette using vinegar (2 Tbs) and Olive or Canola oil (6 Tbs) and seasoned with salt and pepper


My Chef-in-Training
Cooking and Snacking!




I served my salad with some fresh rolls from our local bakery and a butter olive oil herb spread (see above post.)

No comments: