Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Perfect Scone

(In all honesty this is just a scone, a very mediocre scone at best... it is from the bakery section at the grocery store...
I just needed a picture to illustrate my recipe!)

This is a foolproof recipe and I get perfect scones every time. I have not made it in ages. I wanted to this morning but ran out of time. I am posting this recipe for everyone, but mostly Marie, who asked for it and has been waiting very patiently for me to tear through boxes and boxes and flip through cookbook after cookbook until I came across a piece of paper all tattered and torn. I have no idea where the recipe originated, but I got it from my sister in law.
Ingredients:
2 Cups of flour
3 Tbs dark brown sugar
2 Tsp baking powder
1/2 Tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 Cup of butter
1 8 oz, container of *sour cream
1 beaten egg yolk
1 slightly beaten egg white
1/2 - 1 Cup of dried fruit such as raisins, cranberries, dried cherries, apricots, etc...
In a large mixing bowl stir together flour and brown sugar, baking powder, baking sugar and salt.
Cut butter in to mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the egg yolk and the sour cream. Stir or mix until well combined.
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, then flatten and add your dried fruit and knead about 10 times to really incorporate fruit.
Pat out in to a circle, about 7 inches, and cut into 12 wedges, brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
Or...
Roll into a wire log and cut into 1 and 1/2 inch - 2 inch slices.
Bake at 400 degrees or until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
* I now use light or fat free sour cream with the same results. Vanilla yogurt, or plain yogurt work well as a sour cream substitute.

2 comments:

Marie said...

Thank you darling! I will give it a go this weekend. MWAH!

Jessica Ryan said...

I hope you like them Marie... if they are not the right consistency let me know... I have a muffin and scone book by a Brit woman and I love her things!