Monday, August 1, 2011

Open-faced Cuban Sandwiches


There's no such thing as a regular sandwich in this house. I don't do regular. Never have. Regular insinuates boring. Run of the mill. I like to kick things up a notch. Sometimes my kids accuse me of messing with something... "Why can't you ever leave ________ alone?" my daughter often whines... Because I can't. I just can't. Because I like to create. And make a mess. It's like painting. I'm not a stay within the lines kind of a girl.

It was lunchtime and the boys were hungry. Somehow we managed to devour about $50 worth of deli meat in just a couple of days. What was left was some Black Forest ham and some cheese... Swiss, American and Smoke Gouda. I had some rye bread. The good rolls were all gone.

I knew that if I slapped together some ham and cheese together on some bread my boys would take a few bites and walk away. They love Cubans but I didn't want the mess of cleaning the stove top grill... or pan. (I am lazy!) I decided that I would make a sort of open faced version of their favorite sandwich. It turned out to be, I think, even better than a Cuban!

Ingredients:
4 slices of good bread - Rye, Semolina, Italian
4 - 8 slices of  good quality ham such as Black Forest
4 slices of Swiss Cheese
1/4 pickle spear per sandwich, cut into pieces
Good quality mustard, mayonnaise

Directions:

Place bread in toaster and toast lightly.
Spread a little mustard and mayonnaise on the toast
Add a slice of ham or two to each slice
Place the chopped pickles on top of the ham slices
Add the Swiss cheese on top of the pickles

Turn the oven on to Broil, High

Place the open faced sandwiches on a cookie sheet - lined with aluminum foil if desired - and place on top shelf of the oven. Leave for a few minutes as the cheese turns golden brown and bubbles. Watch closely so as not to burn the cheese. Remove and serve immediately!

No comments: