Saturday, July 30, 2011

Guacamole de los Ninos


My 10 year old is a whiz in the kitchen. He has a knack for what works and what doesn't. Like me, he often prefers not to follow a recipe and go by taste instead. He wanted to make guacamole the other night and so just using the following ingredients he eyeballed what he thought would be the right amounts. I did the chopping, his little brother did the mashing and he did everything else. On a jagged piece of paper I took notes as I am apt to do myself when playing around in the kitchen. I am sure this recipe has been printed with exact proportions but this really did come from the top of his head. I want to add that this was one of the best damn guac recipes I have ever had.

2 Haas avocados, almost to the point of being too ripe
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 small to medium onion - ours was Vidalia
1 lemon, juiced
3 smallish Campari tomatoes
1/8 cup (eyeballed) cilantro
Salt to taste

Directions

Cut the avocado in half. Remove pits and skins. Place meats in a medium, deep, bowl. Finely chop the 2 cloves of garlic and add to the avocado. Juice the lemon and add to the bowl. Cut the tomato, keep the seeds but discard the stem, into small bites, add to bowl. Chop the onion finely and add to the bowl. Finally, mince the cilantro and add to the mixture. Using a potato masher, mash all the ingredients until all are well blended. Add salt to taste and refrigerate for at least two hours to let the flavors all marry and settle. Enjoy with your favorite tortilla chips.

No comments: