Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lowfat Linzer Torte Inspired Coffee Cake

Something about the snow and the rain and being trapped indoors always puts me in a baking mood. Seeing as we have had so much lousy weather so far and we are lightyears away from seeing sunshine and feeling her warm rays on our backs and our cheeks, this is not necessarily a good thing. I'm trapped indoors with three children and a burning desire to run on the treadmill as I cannot get to the gym. But a certain little blond 5 year old seems to have absconded with the treadmill key. I took a small sample just to taste... oh my was it ever divine and if I find that treadmill key today I'll cut myself a small piece. Scratch that... I'll cut myself a nice piece. Meanwhile, I am on the phone with Proform waiting to order my replacement key!



I knew by the sound of things outside my window that school would either be cancelled (again) or delayed (again) and thought I would treat the kids to something warm and freshly baked for breakfast. I poked around the cabinets and fridge and was inspired by some almonds slivers, and raspberry jam. I would make a coffee cake that would have the essence of a Linzer torte. As I created and played I really had no idea what the outcome would be... Boy were we all in for a treat! And the beauty of it is save for a small bit of canola oil there is very little fat in this breakfast (or teatime) treat!


Ingredients:

2 eggs
1/3 cup of canola oil
1 cup of yogurt (I happened to have on hand Dannon light and fit vanilla)
3/4 cup of sugar (though with plain yogurt increase to 1 cup)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp (perhaps a smidge more!) almond extract
2 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of slivered almonds
3/4 cup of seedless raspberry preserves
Powdered sugar for dusting
Non stick spray

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In the bowl of your mixer, blend together sugar, eggs and oil. Add the yogurt, baking powder, and almond extract. Slowly add in flour and then fold in the slivered almonds. Set aside.

In a small pot over medium heat add your jam. Stir until it has all melted to form the consistency of a thick sauce. Set aside.

In a cake pan coated with non-stick spray pour in half the batter. Spread batter to the edges. Then add the jam. If you can leave about an inch on the sides. (It will spread and this may not be possible.) The jam wll continue to spread while cooking. Add the remaining batter and spread to the edges.

Place pan in oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.

Remove and let cool.

Using a knife gently make sure that the cake is not sticking to the pan, and if it is use the knife to help it unstick.

Place it onto a pretty plate and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.


No comments: