Sunday, July 4, 2010

Mint Oreo (flourless) Brownies

Nothing screams American like Oreos and brownies!



So I had to try a little experiment just to see what would happen when you added America's favorite cookie into your brownie mix! I took about a half a box of mint Oreos and handed them off to Alexander (my 4 year old) to mash with a fork in a bowl. While he mashed I prepared the brownie batter. (You could absolutely use a boxed brownie recipe for this. I was going to but I had run out!) Once the batter was ready we added the crushed Oreos and mixed them well into the batter. I poured the brown ooey goodness into a brownie pan and baked in the oven for 33 minutes. (I opted for 33 because the directions said between 30 and 35 minutes!)

After 31 minutes had passed I began to notice a burning smell coming from the oven. Oh no! I couldn't possibly have ruined them, could I have? Well... anything's possible! When I opened the oven I saw that the batter his risen and bubbled and some indeed poured over and into the oven. Luckily the brownies still looked in tact. I used a rubber spatula to push the *overflowing brownie mixture back into the pan. After about 30 minutes I cut the brownies. I should have waited longer. I put the batter into the freezer for a few and cut them again. I really wanted to make star shaped brownies as it is America's Birthday, after all, but I didn't want to press my luck. Little squares would have to do. After about 15 minutes I took the brownies out of the freezer. These are certainly not the prettiest brownie I have ever made but Oh. My. God. are they good!!!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 sticks of butter
2 cups of sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
4 squares of Baker's chocolate
OH MY GOD!!!! I forgot the flour!!!! 2 cups of flour!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!! This is hysterical!
So don't add the flour this time around ;)
Approx 1/2 box of Mint Oreos

Add butter and sugar and mix well. Add eggs and Mix well. While mixing add baking powder and vanilla. Melt chocolate in microwave, approximately 1 minute, and blend well. Fold in cookie pieces. Pour into greased brownie pan and bake at 325 for 30 - 35 minutes. Line the oven with aluminum foil.

Let cool at least 30 minutes before cutting. Or place in freezer for 15 minutes prior to cutting into squares.

*I'm pretty certain that the addition of the 2 cups of flour would have kept the batter from bubbling and overflowing!

No comments: