Monday, May 10, 2010

Let them eat cake... for breakfast!



I'm not that mother who gets up early to have fresh French Toast, Western Omelettes or Belgian Waffles hot off the iron press for their kids every morning. I'm a morning girl, but I can't be bothered. And I am lazy. If you have been following me for a while you know that I am much more apt to make all these wonderful goodies over the weekend and have them made and ready to go during the week. I love my freezer. I use my freezer. After all my breakfast goodies have been baked (and cooled), I toss them into Ziplock bags and take them out when needed, as needed, about 15 minutes prior to serving. I just pop them into the oven at a low temperature and they taste as though they have been made that morning. I do this with waffles, French toast, muffins, scones and other breakfast pastries. I strongly urge you to get to know your freezer. You'll become fast friends and lovers!

We had a busy non-stop-and-gogogo weekend. We had soccer games and parties and no time for any food prep. (This morning the kids had leftover toasted baguette with butter and jam. No complaints though!)

Mondays are my days to recover from busy and hectic weekends. i clean and tidy and organize. I plot and plan my grocery lists. I often try to see what I have at home so that I can avoid the whole shopping thing altogether. It's fun to see how you ca stretch a week's worth of groceries!

Today I am also baking an oatmeal raisin breakfast cake. I'm hoping that the word cake gives my breakfast treat an all new appeal. But after all, isn't a muffin or a scone almost like a cake anyhow? Isn't a muffin like a cupcake without the frosting? And if I incorporate fruit and oats into my breakfast treats, they're somewhat healthy, right? Well, this is what I tell myself, at least!

I'm hoping this comes out... it's in the oven now and smells divINE!

The beauty about this recipe, a lazy mother's dream, is that you can dump all the ingredients in all at once!


Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Ingredients:
3 cups of unbleached flour
2 cups of oats (not instant)
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of canola oil
3/4 cup of low fat or skim milk
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
4 eggs
2 cups of raisins

In the bowl of your mixer, add all the ingredients. Mix well.
Pour into a greased bundt or Angel food pan, place in oven and bake about 1 hour.

Let cool for a good 20 minutes before removing from pan and serving. It was good! Satisfying without being rich and slightly sweet without being too sugary. Totally not healthy, but this was delicious with a little bit butter melted over my warm piece!



No comments: