Friday, August 22, 2008

I can'tstopeatingthisAMAZING Granola!



I like granola, granola bars and oatmeal raisin cookies, especially the thick chewy kind you get in a bakery. My mother had a recipe for it that I liked as a kid. Of course I can never leave well enough alone and decided to doctor it up a little and what resulted was a crunchy, chewy, sweet treat I can not (nor can anyone else around here!) stop eating!

I made this for my breakfast fussy daughter as well as the boys who love cereal. This is fabulous sprinkled over vanilla ice cream or stirred in to some vanilla yogurt. Personally, I think it is perfect plain, all by itself! Although quite high in sugar, (I use honey as well as brown sugar in this variety) this recipe has a lot of wonderful nutrients from the oats, dried fruit and flax seed.


Preheat oven to 275

Ingredients:

26 oz. oats, uncooked, NOT quick cooking

1/3 Cup flax seeds (whole seed)

2/3 Cup sliced almonds -- optional and other nuts may be substituted

1/3 Cup sunflower seeds

1 Tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spices

1/2 Cup Canola oil

1/2 Cup dark brown sugar

1/2 Cup honey

2 cups of dried fruit such as raisins, dried cranberries... you can mix different fruits

Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, add honey, brown sugar, spices and oil and mix really well. (This is great fun for the kids to do and, provided they have washed their hands really well can mix with their bare hands!)

When all is well mixed placed in a parchment lined rimmed cookie sheet or Jelly Roll pan and spread out evenly. (A non-stick cooking spray may be used instead of the parchment paper.)

Bake for 1 hour

Let cool about 20 minutes, then break up and crumble into bite sized pieces, add fruit toss... enjoy right out of the bowl!

1 comment:

ReminisceHeirlooms said...

I will def. try this. I love a good granola mix! Thank you for the recipe.