Monday, February 25, 2008

Chicken Salad with Fresh Rosemary



I know that many of you are patiently waiting for something to show up here! It's been a hellofaweek and I have not had much time in the kitchen for anything fancy. Throwing together some pb&j is what life has come to these past few days.



I was determinted to grill some chicken last week but then Don went out of town and then the snows came and it became nothing more than a fleeting desire. Then yesterday I noticed that the chicken had to be used ASAP and since the grill was buried beneath the snow and I had no desire to smoke up the kitchen I just did what I normally do in such a time... toss it all into a huge pot of boiling water and cook for about 25 minutes. (Yes, I trimmed it all first!) Rebecca had requested chicken salad and so her wish became my command, with a twist! I had quite a bit of leftover rosemary that I used a few nights earlier for the roasted potatoes and decided to add it to the chicken salad. What a refreshing flavor it added. Everyone adored it and gobbled it all up!
Ingredients:

Chicken breasts*
1 to 2 sprigs of fresh Rosemary
Sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
Mayonaise (I prefer Hellman's light)

*I tend to buy them in bulk and on sale when I can and that is a good thing, because like the oven roasted carrots, this disappears quickly.

In boiling water place all trimmed chicken breasts and cook for 20 - 25 minutes so that chicken is entirely cooked, remove from water when done and let cool, about 10 or 15 minutes or so.

Cut chicken into small cubes and place in a large mixing bowl. Add as much mayonaisse as you would like. (I start off with about 2 heaping spoonfulls and add from there if needed) Mix well. Add salt and pepper and mix well. Chop fresh rosemary, add to chicken salad and mix well.

Refrigerate, if you prefer, before serving. (This still tastes great a day or two after it has been made.)

Please do not serve this with your standard supermarket bread. It really deserves better. We love a fresh chewy rye, semolina, sourdough or a crunchy baguette. If you have access to a good baker use those breads!

No comments: