Sunday, June 3, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake



I goofed.  I made a mistake. I failed to follow through with direction. My intent was to make a blueberry crumble, but I lost focus when I was chatting with a friend this morning. I make the cake and got it in the oven. It baked to a beautiful golden brown. And then as I realized what I had done, I knew I needed to think fast. What goes divinely well with blueberries? Why lemon, of course! So my lemon glaze was as good if not even better than the cinnamon crumble.

And it's even healthier. Think of all that butter I didn't use!


Preheat oven to 375

You'll need:
1/4 cup of low fat yogurt or sour cream
1/2 cup of sugar
1 egg
1 tsp (I always use more!) vanilla
Cream the above together in a mixer
add 2 cups of flour, 2 tsp baking powder
and 1 cup of lowfat milk
Mix well in blender
add 1 pint of washed blueberries
Mix carefully

Grease a tart tin (pie tin would work as well)
pour batter into tin and bake in oven for 50 minutes
(Bake 1 hour in pie tin)

When the cake is ready to come out, make a lemon glaze by adding the juice of 3 lemons to 1 1/2 cups of sugar. When the lemon glaze is well mixed, drizzle it over the the top of the blueberry cake. I like to poke holes in the top to allow the lemony mixture to seep through. What you have is an incredibly juicy treat!

No comments: