Thursday, May 5, 2011

3 Bean Hummus


I sampled this in Westport's (CT) Garelick & Herbs and was immediately hooked. As I waited for my items to be assembled from behind the counter, I could not stop sampling their three bean hummus. As I sampled I read the ingredients and brought a container home so that I could try to replicate the flavors. While it may not be spot on, it's darned close and fabulous. Even the kids were hooked!

Ingredients:
1 can white beans (cannelini) drained and rinsed
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup of soybeans (edamame) either fresh or frozen and thawed
3 large cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of good quality olive oil
2/3 cup of water
Juice of 1 lemon
sea salt to taste

In a small food processor add the above items one at a time. Start  with the white beans, puree. Add kidney beans, puree. Add soy beans, puree. Add garlic, olive oil and puree. Slowly add the water, and puree. Lastly add the lemon and salt to taste.

If you are using a large food processor you can add everything in at once. There is not enough room in the mini processors to do this, however.

When all is well blended, place hummus in a pretty bowl and refrigerate for a couple of hours or, if possible, overnight. Serve with tortilla strips, pita chips or anything else you prefer.

No comments: