Sunday, April 17, 2011

Glorious Morning Muffins


I've finally figured out what works for us in the mornings. It's only taken 9 years! If you have kids you understands. Mornings are H.E.L.L! No one can ever get it together on time. Getting up is a struggle for one, getting everything together in a timely manner is a struggle for another... getting dressed is something that the third child absolutely does NOT want to do. I have decided to see what would happen if I let them sleep in. Instead of getting the kids up at 7:00 I get them up at 7:30. We leave the house anywhere between 8:00 and 8:15. I have found this way they are very much more efficient with their time. When they got up at 7:00 it was as though there was too much time on their hands and too much dawdling and we were constantly racing the clock. The most time consuming event is breakfast. One doesn't want much... one wants nothing... the other has no idea what she wants. Everyone loves muffins, right? Sometimes I bake them the night before and pop them into the oven to warm for a half hour, and sometimes I make the batter at night and leave the baking until the morning. Breakfast to go... and my version of fast food is healthy. I use local or cage-free eggs, lighter ingredients (milk, sour cream, etc) and pack them with fruit! When I can, I substitute half of the flour for wheat flour. But there are some muffins that simply taste best with regular unbleached flour.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 or less cup sugar
3/4 cup light sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
1 zucchini, shredded
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried cranberries

Directions
Preheat oven 325

In a large mixing bowl beat together eggs and sugar. Add in oil and sour cream beat until light and fluffy. Add baking soda and flours. Mix well. Finally stir in carrots, zucchini, raisins and cranberries.

Pour batter, distributed evenly, into 12 nicely greased (we use a non-stick spray) muffin tins and bake 20 - 24 minutes. Tops will get nicely browned and crisp.

No comments: