Sunday, November 7, 2010

Delicious Lowfat Banana Chocolate Chip Cake Not From Scratch!




I tend to stockpile things when they go on sale. At least I do at the grocery store. And, during the holiday season it seems that all the good stuff (ie baking!) goes on sale. Yesterday I was at my local Stop&Shop and saw that all the boxed Pillsbury cake and brownie mixes were on sale for just $1 a piece! Doctored up, these can be turned into the most fabulous and decadent treats. So I picked up a few (dozen) boxes... Ok, slight exaggeration!

I had two rotten bananas in the fruit bowl. They needed to be used immediately or tossed to make room for the new ones. I'm a bit tired of banana bread myself, so I decided to doctor up a box of yellow cake mix. My result was spectacular and I was not able to stop after just one piece!

Ingredients:
1 box of packaged yellow cake mix
eggs, as specified on package
water, as specified on package
1/3 cup of lowfat (or fat free) sour cream in lieu of butter or oil
1/2 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
2 (or as in my case 1 and a half) over-ripe bananas

Preheat oven to 350 -- or as package indicates

In your mixing bowl add cake mix, water, eggs, sour cream and bananas. Mix thoroughly. Fold in chocolate chips. (Can it get any easier than this?!)

Spray pan of your choice with a non-stick spray and pop into the oven per directions on your package. Remember, different pan sizes require different cooking times. (I used a springform and baked for 1hour.)

Test for doneness... let cool about 10 minutes or so before serving. This is a very soft and gooey treat and unless completely cooled it will stick to your knife.

No comments: