Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It's all Greek to me! (Pasta Salad)

We love all things Greek salad. We eat Greek Salad a couple times a month and we have even made Greek Salad Pizza (see sidebar for recipe) -- which was delish!




The other day I needed something that was filling, quick and easy. I didn't have much food in the house and it was one of those days where the thought of getting to the grocery store seemed an insurmountable task! So I did what I do best and raided my pantry! I always have pasta, olives and chick peas. I happened to have some Feta in the refrigerator. In short, I had everything I needed to make a warm and delicious Greek Pasta Salad. The great thing about pasta salads is that I can usually get two meals out of them. This one was excellent hot and cold. It's great on its own, or makes a nice side salad paired with chicken, steak or fish.

This could not be any easier to make!

Ingredients:
1 lb pasta - any shape
1 jar of artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and cut into small pieces
1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 can of small or medium black olives OR
1+ cup of Kalamata olives
1/2 cup of sliced pepperoncini (optional)
1/2 cup of sliced scallions
1 cup of crumbled Feta cheese
1 small package of frozen spinach, cooked and drained  -- optional. (I added this for the health benefits)

Directions:
Cook pasta per directions, drain, return to pot adding 1 tsp of olive oil to keep pasta from sticking together
Add Feta, chick peas, peppers, scallions, olives, artichoke hearts and spinach, mix well over low heat

Add about 1/2 cup of Greek Dressing:

1/4 cup of olive oil
3 - 4 tbs of red wine vinegar OR the juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp of oregano
1/2 tsp Kosher or sea salt

Whisk until the dressing is emulsified and pour over the pasta immediately!
(If you want to use a bottled variety I like Ken's and Yassou -- you want an oil based dressing and not a creamy one.)

No comments: