Monday, May 24, 2010

Granola a L'Orange et Chocolat


I just finished reading Molly Wisenberg's A Homemade Life, which is, by the way, fantastic and I wanted to keep reading and reading even though the book was over... anyhow she talks about her blog, Orangette, (listed on my side bar) and the treat that inspired her title, and the whole chocolate and orange combination. Since reading about it I have been craving this wonderful combination like nobody's business... I have this fabulous chocolate and marmalade shortbread tart recipe that is absolutely to die for. But I wanted something that was a little bit healthier. And this recipe has just oats, a little bit of canola oil, marmalade and semi sweet chocolate chips. So, a wee bit healthier indeed. Unless you happen to eat the entire tray in one sitting, like I nearly did.




Ingredients:

1 container oats (not quick cook) 18 oz
1 Jar good quality orange marmalade with rind
1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup of hazelnuts, chopped in food processor


Preheat oven to 275 degrees
In a large mixing bowl add oil to oats, mix in nuts and chocolate chips.

In a small saucepan heat orange marmalade until it reaches a liquid state. Remove from heat.
Pour over oat mixture and mix until all is well blended.

Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Apply  thin layer of the granola mixture on to the cookie sheet. If you have a smaller cookie sheet, you may want to use two cookie sheets. Bake for an hour.

I like my granola a little crunchier and so I turn up the heat after an hour and bake at 300 for another 15 minutes or so.

Let cool completely to harden. Try not to eat too much!

I am now reading this and loving it!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hi Jess, Blueberry Buckle is a 'go to' recipe for the whole summer. Have you made it before?...The tomato salad is very refreshing! Fresh fruit and veggies are one of the best things in summer!!Hope all is well in Conn! Enjoy time w your dear family! hope your shoulder is getting better!