Monday, June 8, 2009

Garden Fresh Gazpacho

I adore gazpacho. We eat it all the time when the weather is warm. I've been making it for years and sometimes I change the recipe a bit to suit my mood. My boys won't eat gazpacho. They tell me it's gross. Christopher can't stand tomatoes. But he loves salsa. (Not sure if he's made the tomato connection there or not, but I am not going to be the one to fill him in!) Christopher did try some and told me that it tasted just like salsa. So Daddy and I ate our soup with a batch of fresh-from-the-baker sour dough and some spiced butter. It was divine. And the boys ate theirs with some baked tortilla chips. It was quite good that way too. I had to try it for myself!





For this batch I used:
4 large tomatoes (good ones please! and cut into quarters)
1 large onion that I minced in the food processor
1 large red pepper, cut into medium sized chunks
1 large cucumber cut into medium sized chunks (I left the skin on)
2 cups of Mister T's Bloody Mary Mix (this adds great flavor! V-8 can be used instead.)
2 tbs. olive oil
2 tbs. cider vinegar
1 hefty dash of garlic powder
Place all your veggies in the food processor and blend until you get your desired consistency.
Can be served immediately or chilled and served at a later time. The water will separate from the vegetables and this is normal. One good stir will fix things.
Serving suggestion, a nice dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche and some fresh cilantro or dill as a garnish.
Hmm... wonder what would happen if I puree it complete and add a touch of vodka to it?!
To make the Spiced Butter:
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
a dash of cayenne pepper or paprika
Place all the ingredients in a mini food processor and pulse until well blended. Serve in ramekins with fresh bread.

3 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

This is such a refreshing delicious appetizer. I love this idea.

Suburban prep said...

Every year I get an e-mail from my father asking me to make some gazpacho. I have already received it and made it. This was a different version than what I have made in the past it was from Mayo Clinic. It had garbanzo beans in it. Something different. I like the version I have made in the past which is similar to your recipe.

Anonymous said...

I will admit to scrolling down to first see if you included details on your spiced butter...thank you! I love cold soups on hot summer days (just made one myself today which I'm posting pics of tomorrow) and plan to try your gazpacho next. Looks super healthy (even with the vodka!). Plus, it's just plain fun to say 'gazpacho'!