Monday, May 18, 2009

Grilled Salmon Nicoise


Not too long ago I mentioned that the only "proper" Salade Nicoise was one that was made with canned tuna fish. Canned in oil. Not fresh tuna. Not fresh salmon. Not fresh any fish.

Well I am known for breaking the rules and I wanted salmon and I wanted it grilled and I wanted a Nicoise. So I went ahead and made my own variation.

On a large platter I arranged asparagus, black olives, new potatoes -- sliced, Campari tomatoes, white beans and romaine lettuce

We grilled the salmon, with a little bit of Blackened seasoning, and to perfection and served it on top of the salads. This is a meal I will cook again often. The children will eat it and it's simple enough to serve to guests as all but the fish can be prepped ahead of time.

Ingredients:

2 heads of Romaine lettuce, washed and trimmed
1/2 - 3/4 pounds of new potatoes, cooked and sliced
6 Campari tomatoes, washed and quartered
1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
6 scallions, washed, trimmed -- using both white and green pieces
2 bunches of asparagus washed and trimmed (I always peel away tough outer layer with a veggie peeler)

Directions:

Wash, rinse and dry lettuce... cut or tear into bite sized pieces. Arrange on platter
Add tomatoes, quartered
Cook asparagus in boiling water for no more than 3 minutes. Remove from water and give a cold water bath. Let sit a few minutes, remove, pat dry and add to salad
Add olives
Add beans
Cook potatoes in boiling water, 10 - 15 minutes, cool and slice. Add to salad
Add scallions over the top.
Just prior to serving add vinaigrette

Prepare fish by rubbing spices, and cook for desired time. (For salmon steaks about 3 minutes per side, more for filets and larger pieces. You may want to consult a grilling book to make sure you adequately cook your fish.)

Vinaigrette:

2 tbs Dijon Mustard
1/4 Cup of white vinegar
1/2 cup of olive oil
Mix well (I like to shake in a jar) until fully emulsified
Feel free to change to meet your tastes... less mustard or less vinegar

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kim said...

This really was excellent. Thanks so much for an easy, delicious recipe!