Saturday, September 6, 2008

Fabulously Simple Grilled Chicken, Asparagus with Shallots, Corn on the Cob





Our last "summer dinner" was a simple and delicious one. There is always so much to be taken care of the night before school starts. I wanted a family dinner as they don't happen as often during our busy school year, and I needed a dinner that was quick to prepare and quick to clean!

For the chicken I bought breasts and trimmed them neatly, and cut them into pieces about the size of the palm of my hand. In a large Tupperware or marinating dish I placed the chicken breasts neatly alongside each other. I covered each piece ever so lightly with a little olive oil and then used this:



It is a dry rub of various spices including salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, etc... It is so flavorful! For more information, including her Black Magic (which we use on steak all the time) check out her website.

I let the chicken absorb the spices for a couple of hours, in the fridge and then, when it was ready to be grilled (I let Don handle that part) grill each piece for 10 to 15 minutes depending on the size of each piece. I always make too much so that we have leftovers!

For the asparagus, I must admit I was influenced by Katie over at Good Things Catered who had a wonderful looking recipe with green beans and shallots. I adore shallots and decided that I would add them to my asparagus.

I trimmed my asparagus so that the tough, woodsy bits would end up in the garbage, not my mouth! Then I parboiled the asparagus for a couple of minutes so they turned that lovely spring green. I removed them from the water, drained them and set aside. In a non-stick saute pan I sauteed up 3 thinly sliced shallots. When the shallots were translucent, and just a little brown I added the asparagus to the shallots and cooked for another 2 minutes.


Lastly the corn on the cob. I prefer it boiled. On the stove. I have tried the fancier methods with herbed butters and grilled and whatnot, but when corn is in season it needs nothing. Maybe just a little butter and salt. Just a little. I placed my corn in boiling water and removed it after 4 minutes. I tested a couple of kernels with a fork tyne. When it popped I knew it would also pop in my mouth! I can not stand overcooked corn!

No comments: