Sunday, June 29, 2008

Spinach and Arugala Pesto with mini bowties and chicken



I had my niece over last week for a sleepover. She is a rather fussy eater when it comes to fruit and veggies. I needed to come up with something healthy and nutritious that the kids would all eat. I needed to make something in advance as we had figure skating and Rebecca always comes home starving. Christopher just loves pesto and chicken in his pasta so I thought I would make a vitamin packed pesto! (Not to mention the fact that the basil had gone bad and I was too lazy to run out for more!)


In a mini food processor add 2 to 3 cloves of garlic to 1/8 Cup of olive oil and the same amount of grated Parmesan cheese. Add 1/8 Cup of pine nuts and blend. Add a generous handful of parsley and blend well. Add three generous handfuls of mixed field greens that contain baby spinach. Puree after each handful. If needed add more oil, sea salt and a good dash of crushed red pepper. Add to warm pasta and mix well.


For the chicken I cut up a rotisserie chicken and added it to the pasta with pesto. Everyone, including my veggie-and-fruit-hating niece had seconds!

No comments: