Saturday, June 14, 2008

Lemon Parmesan Orzo Salad

This is one of my favorite side dishes. It couldn't be any easier to make and it is filled with flavor. This dish is great dressed up for an elegant meal, or dressed down for a barbeque as we are having tomorrow. I loosely based my version off of Giada deLaurentis' Lemon Spaghetti.

1 lb. Orzo (small pasta resembling rice)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Juice from 1 1/2 to 2 lemons
Freshly ground sea salt, to taste
Light sprinkling crushed red pepper flakes, to taste

In a small bowl (I use a large glass measuring cup) measure and add olive oil, cheese and lemon juice. Stir well, add red pepper flakes, mix well.
Pour over pasta, mix well.
Add salt to taste
Garnish with parsley, cilantro or basil if desired

2 comments:

nancy said...

Jessica - I followed your link from the Sept. Sprites board. I am mostly a lurker there. I wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your blog(s), and think you have great recipies. I was wondering if you have ever tried mixing in any veggies with this orzo salad. If so, which ones? I think I am going to try it today. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jessica Ryan said...

Nancy,

I think peas would be fabulous in this... You could easily turn it into a pasta primavera of sorts by adding all sorts of springtime veggies... I could see asparagus, peas, zuchinni, carrots, brocoli florets and any sort of pepper (red, green or yellow). I would play around and experiment! Have fun and thanks!