Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My Mother's Meatloaf

I loved meatloaf as a child and I loved getting my hands dirty and helping Mom make it! I am posting this, as well as a couple of other recipes, for my busy friends with busy active children who do not have the time to prepare a proper meal at the end of a long day. When you get home from a late game or practice the last thing you want to do is cook. The beauty of this dish is that it can be prepared in advance, frozen or refrigerated for a couple of days then tossed into the oven. (If frozen, remove meatloaf from freezer in the morning so there is adequate time to thaw.)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cups (8oz.) bread crumbs
2 beaten eggs
1/2 can canned tomatoes
1/2 cup diced celery
2 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tbs. horseradish(I have made w/out using the horseradish and it still tastes great)
Ketchup
Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a large bowl combine all ingredients; mix thoroughly with hands. (If working with children be sure they wash their hands very well after mixing!) Turn into a well-greased loaf pan and bake for one hour.

*Topping:

1/2 Ketchup, 1tsp Worcestershire sauce -- pour over the meatloaf and bake another 15 minutes -- I usually double the recipe for the topping and use as a dipping sauce.

This dish goes well with carrot fries and mashed potatoes!

No comments: